You all knew it was coming, now brace yourselves.
I've been debating since Thursday how I would do this post. I don't want to be the same as the millions of other bloggers who are surely commemorating his passing because -- let's face it: I am NOT like most people. But I decided that, at the risk of being cliché, I couldn't NOT do a post like this.
It has always been pretty clear that I am an obsessive person. For a long time it was frustrating and always kinda embarrassing. That changed one day when I had a talk with my mom and realized that it's just my personality. It's who I am. It's why I'm passionate, and what drives the flame. Obviously balance is important, and I have been known to go overboard, but for the most part I think I've dealt with it pretty well. That being said, Michael Jackson has been a staple in my moderately long list of obsessions. Maybe it's because I liked being so controversial, maybe it's because I wanted to root for an underdog. Maybe, it's because I wanted people to remember how GREAT he was, and not focus so much on the plastic, fragile person he had so tragically become.
Although I didn't watch Thriller until like 9th grade (a travesty, I know) I had always appreciated his music. Maybe the late start is the reason I hit it so hard - I was making up for lost time! I watched every interview and documentary I could find. I read (in about 8 hours straight) a 600 page biography that really started emotional, sympathetic feelings for him.
My obsession healthily grew as I had regular MJ parties with Katie and Albree (and eventually Morgan and Hannah). We made "I love MJ" T-shirts, we watched music videos (and had spontaneous dance parties during the semi-boring ones), we even made themed sugar cookies with various MJ-inspired shapes like a sparkly glove, a cordless microphone (from the Rock With You music video), and my personal favorite: MJ's head with chocolate chips for the eyes and a sweetish fish for the lips. We wore our shirts religiously throughout high school, channeling his powers for luck in knowledge bowl, on AP tests, and sometimes just to feel cool. The parties only got bigger and better and last August, in Katie's brand new apartment, we celebrated MJ's 50th birthday. I thoroughly enjoyed converting many friends to MJ's wonderful legacy, and I was soon known, at least to some, as the Michael Jackson girl.
The comments in my 10th (and to a lesser extent my 11th and 12th) grade yearbook were very popularly Michael Jackson themed. Almost every comment was a variation of "Hey Melissa, you are funny and crazy and you like Michael Jackson." or "Melissa, even though you like Michael Jackson, you're still pretty cool." I thought I'd look back, as an adult, and regret being known as the Michael Jackson girl - but maybe I don't. There are worse things to be associated with and remembered for than passion and appreciating raw talent.
As with the yearbooks, I was closely associated with MJ to many of my friends. When I found out he had died, I checked my phone and already had about 15 texts letting me know it had happened and/or offering tongue-in-cheek but mostly genuine condolences in this "hard time" for me. Also, my facebook wall was beautifully cluttered with kind thoughts. According to many (including my bosses at work) I was their "first thought" when they found out that he died. In a way, that's nice.
I get upset, and frequently feel the need to stand up for him.
I watch videos like this and this, and I hear stories like this and I KNOW, I just know, that he was a good person. That he wanted good things, and had good intentions. I'm not going to say that the things he's been accused of are okay, or that he didn't absolutely destroy his face and good name. BUT - I am emotionally, ridiculously, and maybe naively adamant that he has a good heart. That he loved deeply and genuinely wanted to change the world. I get upset when people can't look past a few (or 50) nose jobs to see the man who wrote SO many songs about changing/healing/saving the world, and then actually did something about it! I love that, and I really love a lot of the things that he stood for. Not to mention the TALENT! I could go on and on about how, even from an early age his command of his voice was unparalleled. That he had more control, as a singer, than I could ever even hope for. He was robbed of his childhood, and really think that that is a big reason that he turned out as an emotionally unstable, adoration-seeking, shy man.
I feel like this is really rambly (<--- yes I made that word up), but my point is that he was a big part of my life. Sometimes I still cry a baby bit about it. BUT, there are things that have helped.
A friend reminded me of the line from Heal The World: "And if you really try, you'll find there's no need to cry; in this place, you'll find there's not hurt or sorrow." So... I mean, that's pretty good.
Even better. I was driving home today and kinda bummed about plenty of things (MJ included) when, completely out of the blue, "You Are Not Alone" came into my head. Cheesy, I know, but I guess I hadn't really thought of this song since he died. It was a nice little present that made me cry (let's face it - what HASN'T, lately?), but comforted me. :)
Anyway. That's my rant. I love this Michael Jackson. That's all there is to it.
Forgive my therapeutic purge.
4 comments:
What the heck are you doing bringing tears to my eyes?!! :0) Melissa, that was very, very well written.. as you said about your friends, you were the first person I thought of when I heard about MJ passing away.. Something I love about you is your unrepentant attitude toward those that you like and love. That makes you a very loyal friend and awesome person! It's something that I love about your personality! I admire you very, very much!
On a lighter note, how did you get this obsessive streak in the first place? It's certainly not something I can identify with!! Hee hee hee!
Love you, Paula
Before I start my comment I want to ask you something. How do you do those words that turn into links? They are rather useful.
You have helped me appreciate MJ much more than I used to. I never hated him or thought he was guilty of the things he was accused of but I never really appreciated him. Then, I met you and I felt like doing some research about his skin disease (whether it's real or not). So I sat in my room with Mehlanie and looked up all this stuff about it and I'm pretty sure he wasn't bleaching his skin now. And Man in the Mirror is one of my favorite songs. I love his messages. I read your whole entry right now and clicked on every link. I thought the video of him with the kids was cute, especially when he said he was embarrassed although I do think he was weirdly touchy-feely with them but he was probably just like that. I agree with you when you say that he had no childhood, which made him messed up. I think he just wanted to be a child again and have a real childhood. Since they've been showing a bunch of his vids on different channels, I actually got on YouTube and watched almost every music video he's ever made the other night (except the one where he's naked. I don't need or want to see that). It made me realize how much he cared and what an INCREDIBLE talent he had. He also was probably one of the best live performers out there. Also, remember when you posted the vid to Stranger in Moscow? Well, it's on my iPod and I can't stop listening to it. I read that it was about him feeling lonely on his Moscow tour and that gave so much more meaning to it. I just really like the song so thanks for introducing me to it. Wow. That was a lot more than I intended to write. I will leave you with some words from "Will you be There, " which is one of my favorite MJ songs and if you haven't seen this vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvYygjcMDdQ
I suggest you do because it's amazing. So here my friend, be inspired and feel good:
In Our Darkest Hour
In My Deepest Despair
Will You Still Care?
Will You Be There?
In My Trials
And My Tribulations
Through Our Doubts
And Frustrations
In My Violence
In My Turbulence
Through My Fear
And My Confessions
In My Anguish And My Pain
Through My Joy And My Sorrow
In The Promise Of Another Tomorrow
I'll Never Let You Part
For You're Always In My Heart.
Oh my goodness. Love overload! These comments are literally making me cry.
Perl - Thank you! I'm glad that my 'love it or hate it' personality is admirable :) Also - yes, it is quite surprising that I turned out the way I did with that crazy aunt of mine. She would NEVER do anything like THAT! ;)
Alanna - it's the hyperlink option when you're writing the post (it looks like a chain link). Also, like I said on facebook, I'm so glad that you love him. We'll have the most MJ apartment EVER next fall! I'm so excited.
This is incredible! I find it bold that your passions were able to manifest in a physical way, my passion for MJ was only revealed whenever any of his ongs would play or any conversation about him would come up.
I think the death of this great legend should show us the effect every other person can hav on an individual. I had barely finished putting together a poem, that was basically to say 'Rise Up MJ, you are a bright star and nothing can cover ur light', only to learn of his death a few days later!
I had just woken up and was feeling a bit grumpy already, when I got a txt that said,' Michael Jackson is dead!'. I was irritated for someone had sent a similar one some months earlier,so I branded it a prank txt and felt angry that ppl still found it inspiring to b unselfish abt their sick jokes. I walked to the hall, the tv was on, and a movie was being shown on one of the local tv stations. I was till in a sleepy fugue when part of the screen was invaded by CNN's breaking news tab, I suddenly felt a sinking feeling in my stomach as I caught the words 'Michael Jackson... '
Many days now, I've recovered a bit from the shock. I remember when my father said he had not gone to work the day Bob Marley died, I could relate to that after MJ's death. In a way, knowing that this was not the first time the world had lost a legend it was obvious that it certainly wasn't going to be the last time and it helped if one quickly came to terms with events such as this or you kiving wld b very difficult.
Tears still comes to my eyes when I hear Billie Jean, Thriller, Smooth Criminal because they stir a deep feeling within me that urges me to dance and though it might not come close to MJ's dancing, it feels good to sing and dance ti the music.
I sometimes think it wld have been more consoling if he had died after his concerts, I was craving to see some contemporary work from him, to see him come once more and together with all his fans bury those apathetic critics with the large attendance and dazzling shows which he never failed to exhibit, to remind those who had forgotten, he was dubbed the KING OF POP!
Life moves on, any news I hear of him now is of little interest for me because the center of the circle no longer exists, only the songs, videos and aid given mean anything to me now. I can never forget the joy with which I jumped to the screen of the tv, as a child, anytime I saw MJ perform.
I will never forget how break time at school was featured me and some ofthe guys in the class trying to prove who had the best moonwalk.
I will never forget the empathy his songs had for the troubles of the world. Such was the greatness of this star, this legend, that the WHOLE WORLD knew his name, and were changed by him. At least he showed how one person can change the lives of many, at least giving some of us a place to hide our sorrows, to forget our troubles and sing along his songs with joy.
Good work Mel, I liked reading your blog, It's always nice knowing someone, somewhere else with similar passions. Sorry this had to b so long, I might as well could hav put up a blog of my own,lol, take care!
Post a Comment