5.31.2010

I have issues

This confession is hardly a surprise.

However.

The insanity runs even deeper than you might think.

I have problems with beds. Not all beds, just all beds that aren't mine.

You see, I can't sleep in sheets.

There. I've said it. Bring out the pitchforks.

People think I'm crazy, but I just can't stand feeling constricted!

So, I sleep on top of the fitted sheet, flat sheet, thin blanket, and quilt/comforter, and under a completely different blanket.

I guess if I wanted to get real fancy I could always try to coordinate the top blanket to at least MATCH my top quilt. But I'm not there yet.

In all my journeyings (which, admittedly, mainly involve traveling back and forth between a mere 20 miles or so) I've only met one other soul that shares my sheety problem. And even he just sleeps on top of his sheets, but under his top quilt.

I just can't handle it.

A couple years ago, in the dorms, I tried to sleep under sheets. I really did. But I had a minor panic attack and had to get up (after laying awake for what seemed like an eternity but was most likely about 12 minutes) and dramatically make my bed, then triumphantly sleep ON TOP OF everything. It was like taking a cool, cleansing, fire-sqaulming breath after being held underwater, fruitlessly gasping for air to no avail.

Wow.

So do YOU have any sleeping issues? Any OCD tendencies when it comes to your bedding?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cannot stand to sleep in sheets.
As a child when my parents 'tucked me in' I would promptly untuck myself--although I do sleep under my top comforter. Just thought you should know you're not alone in your oddities :)(another OCD tendency...when eating cereal I must have 3 morsels of said cereal in my last bite...judge me.)

Albs said...

I share the same hate of sheets. In college I just never put them on my bed. It drives my mother crazy. I also can't breath other peoples air when I sleep. It is such a problem that when I have to share a bed with someone, I put my head at the end of the bed by their feet. Marriage should be a fun....

Griffin and Gretchen said...

i believe you know about my pillow issues. no one can touch my pillow. (I've had to be a little accomidating with a husband but that's it!) my pillow can't be on the floor. if i go to sleep with dirty hair, i have to wash my pillow the next day....i could go on but i think you get the picture.
also, i never knew about your sheet issue!

)en said...

You guys are freaks! not using sheets = GROSS. :)

alright, my bedding issue: I don't like feeling trapped by my sheets either, but i have to loosely tuck in the sheet under the mattress or it'll make its way up and i'll have too much sheet and will be strangled and I really hate that bad. The sheet must not extend past the blankets.

I'll snarl and, too lazy to get out of bed to pull it down and tuck it in, i'll try to punch the sheet down and pull up the blankets. Yes, punch. I'm mad.

good times.

Brittany said...

i can't sleep without sheets. and i'm a mattress snob. there, i said it.

Alanna said...

I also sleep on top of everything with a completely different blanket. I have done this ever since I can remember pretty much. I don't know why. The only way I'll sleep under the comforter but on top of the sheets is if I wake up in the middle of the night and am freezing. ONLY THEN will I succumb to going under the comforter.